New Beginnings Early Parenting Circle
Parenting in our current time is not an easy task, especially with many of us living apart from our support system – the people in our lives whom we trust with all our heart. Add to this, the fact that in order to survive many of us have to return to work as early as six weeks after our baby’s birth or adoption. To say it’s not easy is an understatement!
We at Women’s Holistic Healing and Birth Matters NJ are here for you through the new beginnings of your parenting no matter how many children you have. Each child comes into our lives at a different time and place of our lives.
- Location: 185 Center Ave. 2nd fl. Westwood, NJ 07675
- Dates: Second Tuesday evenings and Second Thursday mornings.
Check our calendar for upcoming dates.
- Cost: Suggested donation $20, as you are able.
All are welcome, regardless of ability to pay.
What we provide:
- A safe place of mutual respect and non-judgment where parents can acknowledge the enormous impact that being parents, raising a child has upon their lives
- A place of support, education, and community where parents thrive
New Beginning Early Parenting Circle is for moms and dads and has as its mission statement:
“To support and empower parents in the creation of family lives that mirror their value system
and not the expectations established by others,
to build resilience of the family unit,
and to establish community safety nets.”
- Unrealistic Expectations of what is realistic for parents: this unattainable ideal leads to maternal and paternal stress, depression, and an environment of judgment.
- Isolation: Many parents today feel increasingly isolated from our friends- in the neighborhood or at work or school. We work so hard to fulfill our commitments yet find ourselves feeling unfulfilled and when at home- we do not find joy, many a day yearning for a place to go where everyone knows your name and is able to relate to your new reality.
- Maternal Depression: In the United States many mothers experience emotional difficulties in the postpartum period. Up to 1 in 4 mothers suffer from post partum depression (PPD).
- Paternal Post Natal Depression (PPND): Post Partum Depression in Dads- it does exist! As a matter of fact, depending upon your source it is experienced by 1 in 10 to 1 in 4 fathers.
- Appalling Family Policy: The United States does not guarantee paid maternity leave. Mothers are 44% less likely to be hired than equally qualified women without children. Women without children make 90 cents to a man’s dollar, mothers make 73 cents, and a single mother makes 60 cents to a man’s dollar.
- Mothers and fathers are powerful beyond measure. Together, we can change the world!
- When families are supported, we are more successful in all areas of our lives that benefit our communities.
- Becoming educated and challenging existing family policies benefits everyone.
Our Circle is guided by the following principles that come from our Mother/Woman facilitator training:
- We believe in the inherent value of all people
- We believe the state of a person’s parenthood is highly dependent on the state of his/her personhood. We encourage all parents to value, respect, and advocate for themselves, and expect others to do the same in ways that keeps them safe.
- Parents cannot give from a depleted source. Every parent needs and deserves emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual validation, nourishment and support. When a parent is respected and well cared for, he/she, and the whole family will benefit.
- We believe speaking the truth about parenthood is a revolutionary act, which breaks the silence and isolation in all f us. In our circle, we support parents in naming the deep challenges that they are experiencing, knowing that there are few places where parents can be completely truthful about the full spectrum of their experiences.
- Parents are raising the next generation. What we do for ourselves and our families today will ripple far into the future. We all want to raise our children to be strong and loving adults, leaders and the best parents that they can be. Parenting is the most important job tat there is!
- We know that parenting can be both a joy and a challenging experience. We explore the complex realities of the parenthood experience. We do not sugarcoat it, but look for opportunities to find the gold, even in the darkest places. We know that parenthood is a powerful growth experience for a people. WE do NOT need to be perfectly good parents. You are the right parents for your children.
- We have confidence that every person has the wisdom to navigate life when she/he feels heard, validated and honored for who she/is, as he/she is.
~ From MotherWoman (http://www.motherwoman.org)
Trish DeTura, Wife, Mother of four, RN, Certified Nurse- Midwife, Certified Mother Woman facilitator
I am passionate about mothers and fathers getting off to the best start possible and as a mother of four, I know intimately how easy parenting is not. Rewarding yes, but not without its own set of challenges. As a young mother, I relocated from one part of NY to another part of NY and had a husband who worked long hours.
Unfortunately, we re-located just before our baby was born and without anyone around me that I knew, I fell into isolation and despair. Having had my last child a bit later in life, I was somewhat broadsided when I developed Post Partum Depression and had no one that I trusted to share the darkness I was feeling inside my soul. Having experienced complete utter joy when my other children were born, I knew what was possible when one had support and I always made it a priority to be a presence in the community for new parents.
Facilitating the New Beginnings Early Parenting Circle is my way of ensuring that parents know that they are not alone, in turn – doing my part to contribute to happier families and healthier communities.
I look forward to meeting you at our upcoming circle.
Billee Wolff, RN
Billee Wolff is a Registered Nurse with a clincal background in Maternal -Child Health, including Ob-Gyn, labor and delivery, postpartum, and lactation. Billee is a certified doula, certified lactation counselor, and Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator. She has also taken trainings in Yoga Nidra, Hypnobirthing, Prenatal Parenting, postpartum doula care and infant massage. She also spent a week on the Farm in Tennessee taking a training to be a midwifery assistant. She has been working with families and young children for over 20 years. She has a calm and nurturing presence.
Billee is passionate about giving moms and their partners evidence-based information so that they can make the best decisions with their healthcare providers during their pregnancy, labor, birth and postpartum.
Billee has spoken about the benefits of doulas and how studies have consistently shown that the presence of a doula improves maternal and child outcomes, and increases long term breastfeeding success.
Billee loves working with couples; supporting them and witnessing them find their own confidence and inner knowledge. She offers this support to couples by teaching Holistic Lamaze Childbirth Classes, offering Labor Support Doula Services and a New Beginnings Early Parenting Circle (a group for parents of children under one year of age that provides support to couples as they transition into their role of parents/family). As well as hosting a Sacred Circle for Birth Workers.